Monday, May 16, 2011

Soup memories

This weekend brought several thunderstorms through the area, as is the usual for this time of year in Florida.  With the storms came the memories of summers past, and my rainy-day food habits.
My summers as a child were not all that exciting, mainly centering around my grandma’s house.  I created adventures there with my cousins, from the wilds of her back yard to the castles and fortresses we built and stormed in her living room. 

The classic rainy day food for me is classic tomato soup and a million drowned Goldfish crackers, with a side of toast with cream cheese.  I didn’t have the ingredients for such comfort this weekend, but I hope to have at least parts of it soon.

On my birthday, my best friend and I discovered a tiny restaurant in town and immediately wished that we had discovered it four years ago when we were freshmen, rather than two days before graduation.  With a menu that changes from day to day as to what is fresh, a small staff that prepares the food in a kitchen you can see right into, generous portions and the ABSOLUTE BEST TOMATO SOUP I HAVE EVER HAD.   A tiny restaurant, but a gargantuan amount of flavor held within.   

My best friend is coming out this week to clean out her half of the apartment (this is my very, very sad face.  But I will be doing the same thing soon enough.) and the plan is to revisit this restaurant, which makes my stomach rumble in anticipation.

My planned order?  Tomato soup with grilled cheese – but not just any grilled cheese. The grilled cheese will be made with gouda cheese, apple slices, and bacon on Cuban bread.  Perfect for dipping into the so-thick-it-coats-the-back-of-the-spoon tomato soup.
I need to stop before I drool on the keyboard.
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment