Monday, August 15, 2011

Not-your-fast-food-burrito.

Have you ever had a craving for something that you know is absolutely horrible for you?

That's me and mexican food.  I have moments where all I want is a giant burrito, filled to bursting with deliciousness and a big serving of tortilla chips on the side.  So good, but so, so bad for you. 

While I could debate the merits of Moe's and Chipotle respectively, and probably get in an argument or two over which is better, I tend to appreciate the Chipotle style of burritos more than Moe's. From either restaurant, I do enjoy the "naked" versions, or the bowls that have everything you would put in a burrito, without the tortilla.

Except, there is not a Moe's in the town I'm living in now. Or a Chipotle.  So today when the burrito-train hit me full force, I was lost.  Until I regained my senses, and remembered that I can cook.  A quick trip to the store, and I had embarked upon my mission to make a healthy, low fat version of a burrito from Chipotle.  Given that my dad ate one in under 5 bites, and approvingly licked his fingers, I think I succeeded.

Here is the recipe (makes like, a million small burritos. And rice-beans-chicken-and-mushroom bowls. I made a lot of the filling to keep and use for quick lunches and such.):

- 4 cups rice, cooked (I added a splash of lemon juice and some cilantro, a la Chipotle)
- 1 can diced chicken, we get the big cans from Sam's Club, Member's Mark brand
- Salsa verde, amount to taste
-1 medium package of pre-sliced mushrooms
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- Whole wheat tortillas
- low fat shredded cheese, mexican blend

1. Heat the shredded chicken in a pan with seasonings to taste (I used some chili pepper, cilantro, even some creole seasoning) and a bit of salsa verde.  When the chicken is warm, add mushrooms.  Cook until mushrooms are desired tenderness, and chicken is shredded and super tender.
2. Heat the pinto beans to desired temperature (I just nuked 'em.)
3. Layer the burritos!
    - Rice
    - beans
    - Chicken and mushrooms
    - cheese
    - a little more salsa, if desired.

I left out sour cream and guacamole because I'm always tempted to put WAY too much on.  These had a lot of flavor, but weren't too spicy, but easily adjustable if I want spicy later on.  One small one (I used the 'soft taco' size tortillas, and it created a decent size burrito) was enough to fill me up, and I resisted making a second because really, I knew that I could eat it, but I would be uncomfortably full later on.  I didn't even need chips with it, since there was all that fiber from the beans, mushrooms, and the tortilla, with the protein of the chicken.  I'm tempted to put the chicken and mushrooms on eggs for a breakfast tortilla tomorrow.

It's versatile, it's tasty, and it's healthy.  I'd say that one of these burritos clocks in at way under 500 calories, compared to the nearly/over 2,000 that one from Moe's or Chipotle does.  I am content, and my tummy is happily full of good noms.

Now I'm back to enjoying my day off, watching my lettuce pot garden (more on that in another post!) grow, and reading my library books.  I get to see R. tomorrow, so I'm very happy today.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment