Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tea and poetry.

One of my greatest loves in life has been constant and true, never failing: Tea.

It may be pandering to a stereotype of Southerners by saying that I love sweet tea more than any other beverage, but it's true.  At least when the tea is brewed, not made from syrup in a soda fountain. Good tea. Not bad tea.

Is there really a difference between good tea and bad tea?  Isn't all tea packed with the antioxidants and flavanoids that make it such a health benefit?  Well, possibly, and I'm not a scientist to make any kind of solid comment on that front, and I'm feeling too lazy to do any research on the subject at present (I will probably end up doing some, though, just because not knowing something is one of my greatest irritations in life).  But I know that there is a definite taste difference that leads to the conclusion that a glass of sweet tea is Good tea, or Bad tea.  Just ask the Brits. They'll tell you.

I started out my life drinking sweet tea and sweetened hot tea at my grandma's house (any surprise there, folks?).  The hot tea was mainly because I could sneak a few extra scoops of sugar into the mug, and then be left with the grainy melty sweet stickiness at the bottom of the cup when I had finished the tea.  Sweet iced tea has always been one of my favorite things about Grandma's house, though.  Even though I know that she doesn't do anything special, doesn't buy anything other than the cheapest brand of tea and use regular sugar, somehow it just tastes better.  Maybe because it's made with love? (*wink*)

As I got older, I began to experience new kinds of tea. Flavored black teas, herbal teas, and green tea.  As a singer, I developed "magic tea" which is a herbal tea mixed with mint, honey, and a little bit of lemon that just plain made a sore throat feel better, and saved my voice on occasion.  I like green tea when I'm drinking hot tea, mostly because I've managed to convince myself that it's better for me, and I do enjoy green tea with lemon iced.  There is nothing that holds more meaning of cold weather happiness to me than a big mug of chai tea, inhaling the cinnamon and clove scent, luxuriating in the complex flavors of a good chai. 

I'm trying to cut back the caffeine in the evenings, since I do have to get up at a regular time these days.  I drink a lot of water at work (it's seriously hot outside in Florida, y'all.  Seriously. And humid. Water is my best friend), and I like to have a good herbal tea at night just to break up the routine of water, and it's something other than soda to give it flavor.

And there is no other past time in my life I enjoy more than curling up with a book and a mug of tea, even in hot weather.  Since I got two new books from the library today, I think that's what I'll do. 


What are you favorite beverages? Do they hold any meaning to you?

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment